Sunday, November 1, 2009

Pelon's Baja Grill

Good morning world! It's time for another restaurant review (and don't worry the micro brew talk will be coming soon). I have mentioned before about going out to eat on my lunch break from my daily grind, and I should let it be known that, my lunch break is when I do a lot of my eating out. So there is a good chance that a few of my blogs will have togo experiences, such is the case with Pelon's Baja Grill 3619 Pacific Ave. Va Beach, Va. 757-417-3970. I also recently found out that there is another location located at 738 W. 22nd St. suite 15 Norfolk, VA. 757-961-4673.

This was my first trip to Pelon's and to be honest, I don't know why. I have seen the place a million times and have been told about it several time by my buddy Eric. As soon as I walked in I thought I had just walked in off the beach after a nice day of surfing, sponging, or maybe you just got back in town from "the burg" and were out kite surfing all day(what up Walt). They have surf and skate stickers and posters all over the place, chill music coming thru the speakers, 2 TV's playing surf videos or fuel tv, the counter was at the front and the menu at the top of the wall behind the counter.

Knowing that I was going on my lunch break I checked the online menu so I could have my order ready when I got there. The menu is straight up Mexi-Cali food, with appetizers ranging from chips and salsa to taquitos(chicken or beef) and quesadilla and nachos. From what I've been told the tortilla soup is where it's at, they also have posole, which is a broth with grilled pork, hominy, and chili's, topped with cilantro, onion, and warm corn tortillas. The burrito selection is huge adn the taco selection consist of fish, chicken, carnitas, and carne asada(see their online menu for how they are prepared). I hear the fish tacos are some of the best around, i'll be sure to check them out the next time I'm there. The Over the Top burrito was recommended by my boy Eric, but since I still had to go back to work I opted for the "Hang ten". Seasoned charbroiled chicken boobs, baja rice, black beans, pepper jack cheese, cilantro, onions, guacamole, and a mild verde sauce, I also had a few freshy jalapeno's tossed in there too. When the lovely young thang behind the counter set my order on the counter, I thought I felt the counter shake, and then when I grabbed my order to walk out I almost dislocated my shoulder surprised by the massiveness of the bag. This jammy was HUGE, at least a pound maybe pound and a half. So when I finally sat down to eat the Barry Bondsish burrito I quickly realized it was the size a newborn child.

After taking the first bite I could taste the freshness of everything in that big ass bundle of joy. The guac was good and fresh, the verde sauce was excellent, and the fresh jalapeno's set the heat level to perfect. The chicken was slightly dry, but with the guac and the verde sauce, it wasn't bad at all. Trust it didn't ruin the burrito, I have rolled many burritos in my day and this was definitely a good one. I will definitely be back real soon to try those fish tacos and the Over the Top burrito.

3.5 "Damn mickey fickey that shizz was the cats pajamas"
$$$ good food and a lot of it, but it was $7.25 for my burrito and no chips. The burrito was more than enough food, however a handful of chips to kinda get your scoop on would've been a little nice.
Kid friendly and no smoking (that i could see)

2 comments:

  1. Pelon's is bangin! I recomend every one give it a try because you will not be dissapointed. the over the top burrito is to die for, but go hungry cause that jammy is huge!!!!! travis good review and good looks on the shout out!! peace brotha and ill be seein ya soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pelon's is a chill place to go for starting the session or recapping the surf after a good day. It takes you somewhere else while you are there. Cold rainy winter days would find me at this hideout, gettin a tex-mex fix and slapping more stickers on the walls!

    ReplyDelete