Thursday, October 29, 2009

Whitner's Pit Cooked BBQ

Recently on a lunch break from my daily grind I stopped into Whitner's Pit Cooked BBQ, 869 lynnhaven prkwy suite 106 VA Beach 757-689-8215.

Like I said I was on my lunch break so I got a togo order, when I first walked in and looked around, the spot was clean, inviting, and for anyone that's lived in the area for a while, kinda took me back to Po' Folks(southern decor). Yeah i just went straight 1989 on that ass with a reference to Po' Folks. But I digress, so the place is chill and the guy behind the counter was friendly and didn't mind my questions. The soup of the day was gumbo with rice and corn bread. After scanning the menu for a few minutes one thing kept calling out to me. What they proudly call the "Whit's combo sandwich", I call one big ass meaty good sammy. I can only describe it as the BBQ version of a dagwood, they describe it as burnt ends & sausage(that had a nice little kick to it) topped with cole slaw and pickles on a warm bun. Without question there was at least 3/4's of a pound of burnt ends and a whole sausage topped with a very tasty not too saucy cole slaw and thinly sliced pickles. One of the best damn sammy's i've ever had.

That sammy was a quality messy goodness, and as for the gumbo, that jammy was pretty damn good too. However I'm not totally convinced that it is homemade, if it is then the force is strong in that one. If it isn't homemade, then they found a good premade soup. It a had a nice little bite, a dark brown base, and full of chicken, veggies, and flava. The corn bread was a quality corn bread, nothing super spectacular, but not bad at all.

I will definitely be back to try some of their other tasty looking nuggets of goodness. The menu offers up: ribs (wet or dry) full racks all the way to the broke sucka special(my name for it, not there's), the lone bone (1 rib)
Chicken leg and thigh: Jamaican jerk or BBQ, 2-10 pcs.
Bulk meat sold by the poundage: NC pulled pork, KC burnt ends, pulled chicken, beef brisket, and sausage. They also have you covered on the Sammy's, wraps, and catering.

All in all quality food and I will definitely be back fo sho to try ribs and jerk chicken, just a little kickin to your ear, the burnt ends are worth a drive from anywhere in VA Beach. Thanks for reading and hope you have the same experience I did.


4 "Damn mickey fickey that shizz was the cats pajamas"
$$-Get plenty of food for what you pay and it's good, and don't forget they even have the lone bone!!
family friendly
No smoking

No comments:

Post a Comment