Thursday, June 3, 2010

Kim Cafe

There are some restaurants that have been around forever and you went there when you were a kid or it was years ago and for whatever reason you just never went back. So is the case with Kim Cafe (757-340-4989 2605 Virginia Beach Blvd, #103 Virginia Beach, VA), Kim Cafe has been at this location for I know at least 15 years and I ate there when I was younger, but for whatever reason I had never been back, till yesterday. Man was it a great experience. It is straight up a greasy spoon ran by an older Asian couple and they are doing things proper there.
When I say this is a greasy spoon it's your typical greasy spoon operation without the actual greasy spoons. They have greasy spoon food with greasy spoon prices. Burgers, grilled cheeses, chicken sandwiches, salads, breakfast, etc. A line of 2 top tables in the front with a narrow walk way between the counters and the tables, counter seats at the kitchen area and a "larger" dining area in the back that looks like it is straight from 1980. Kim Cafe has to be one of the best kept secrets in VA. Beach for a while and I am stoked to have found it again. When I first walked in I was quickly greeted by a nice gentleman named Lou. 99% sure he is the owner with the lady that cooked up my tasty lunch. The only reason I knew his name was Lou is because another customer addressed him as such. This place has full on been setup in the small greasy spoon/diner fashion, getting the most use out of the little bit of room you have. From the mini dishwasher to the mini fryer and not to mention the overwhelming amount of Brady Bunch floral print plates, saucers, and cups. It has instantly become a new favorite for me. As I am writing this I just went there for lunch and talked to Lou for a second, he informed me that they have been there for 25 years and that as soon as he make a million dollars he will retire. How great is that?
On my first visit back in at least 15 years I had a taste for a burger and that is exactly what I got. A bacon cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, grilled onion, mayo, and fries. All sammich's come with a little jammy of coleslaw and chips or fires. What I got was a tasty, fresh, juicy, burger grilled and topped with American cheese and quality bacon not some garbage pre-cooked shizz. The burger is arguably one of the best around and for $6.55 you can't go wrong. Today I had a b.l.t. with fries and again was completely satisfied with everything. Nothing hard about a b.l.t., but for some reason some places manage to screw them up. This one had the perfect ratio of bacon, lettuce, tomato, and by request mayo. Again the price was just right at $5.45, come on now are you serious? A tasty, fresh, filling lunch for cheap, and they do breakfast too. That will be my next venture with Kim Cafe.
Do yourself a favor if you are in the area of the boulevard and Lynnhaven near the RK dealership, in the shopping center with the West Indian grocery store and go-ho auto, then stop in to Kim Cafe and get your grub on, you will not be disappointed. This is definitely a hole in the wall spot throwing out tasty burgers, salads, sandwiches, and breakfast for cheap. Get on it, a good thing doesn't last forever and I am really bummed that I waited so long to fall in love with this spot and it's been right under my nose this whole time. A true dining gem.

I'll be back on the regular for sure and spreading the word.

2 comments:

  1. What up Travis? ... Been to Kim's many times . I love how how they just knock everything out ....at there own pace ....actually ate towards the back last time i was there never realized there was another room...lol
    deff....a Terminator

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Food , Recession prices, nice, quiet, and quick. Mr Kim wears all the hats and does an excellent job at it.

    ReplyDelete